Thursday, March 24, 2011

Inspiration All Around

A lot of people think that I am insane for selling my pieces at boutiques/shows. I have to shlep all my pieces in crates, unload, set up, SELL, and then repackage everything in the hopes that nothing will brake in the interim. I definitely admit that it’s true pain, however, I absolutely love going to them and do quite a few throughout a month. I personally get a high from meeting new people, discussing my pieces, and gaining inspiration from other vendors. (The best happens at other craft fairs when you are among other creative nuts like yourself). I am always the first to arrive and the last to leave, always getting distracted by those around me.

A couple weeks ago I was at the YNJ show and I met a couple people that truly inspired me. Jennifer, who I will talk about in my next blog post shall remain a secret till Sunday when I will post her exclusive items that I will start carrying…..so excited!!! The second person I can’t even tell you what her name was, because I have no clue who she was. She was a sheitel macher who was selling wigs. Now I meet a lot of sheitel machers, but what was so awesome about this one was that the heads the wigs were sitting on were decorated. One in leopard print, the other in cheetah print , and the last in zebra print. How cool I thought, is that painted? When I got a closer look I realized that it was decopauged with paper, rhinestones, and flowers around the neck. Now if anyone truly knows me, they know that my very first love, and the first thing I ever tried to sell handmade were my decopauged wall letters and picture frames. I knew in an instant that I could do that. The sheitel macher kindly told me that she got it from someone in the Five Towns (if anyone knows who, I would love to find out her name) and that she sells a lot in Long Island.

I personally am a shabby chic lover. I appreciate the old world style and romanticism in art. Eyelet lace speaks to me. It just does. Weird, I know. But anyways, I went out to my nearest Micheals, and bought all the supplies I needed and got down to work on decoupaging my sheitel head. Never did I realize how long it would take. Seriously. Lots and lots of time was spent on it, BUT ITS SOOOO  AWESOME! What I love the most about it is that not only does it become a piece of art, but it’s functional. NO LONGER WILL YOUR KIDS OR HUSBAND BE FRIGHTENED OF YOUR SHEITEL HEAD! I want to do more sheitel heads in different designs and colors, and wish I had the time to play around with it all day. The black and white zebra print was really chic looking so maybe I will do that next. Just out of curiosity what do you think? Leave a comment and let me know, please.

17 comments:

  1. I have seen these around and am definitely a fan- i have thought about doing it myself if i were to find the time.. a zebra print sounds awesome and i might have to be your first customer! If you have the time then you should definitely go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very cool!
    Shoshana Diskind

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would love something like this that would look nice in the bedroom! here we have gorgeous bedroom sets and a piece of styraphom sitting on the dresser. something like this would definitely look nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!!! I love it. I totally have to get that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. skweeky898 is michele kirschner btw for your raffle contest

    ReplyDelete
  6. loooooove funky, artsy origional!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cool! u turn such a simple item into a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks cool. My mom actually started making these too - not for sale, but as hobby - How do you get the pins to prick thru if it's glued???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that Sheital stand looks too cool! I would love one :) My son gouged out the eyes and the nose on my current sheital stand :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. my niece had her bridal shower in the 5 towns about 3 yrs ago or so & received an exquisite decoupaged long sheitel head... I'll see if I can find out who made it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's beautiful! i don't know if i'd actually spend a lot of money that sits in my closet, but if it was reasonable,I'd consider :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A decorative piece! Perfect for people who keep their wigs out on their dressers. good luck,
    Esti Reichman

    ReplyDelete
  13. CONGRATS TO SQUEEKY898!!! Email me at shabbey2@gmail.com so we can discuss your new sheitel head!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to help
    with SEO? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good gains.
    If you know of any please share. Kudos!
    Feel free to visit my web site ... tattoo apprenticeships

    ReplyDelete